Higher Education Work Based Learning Roles and Responsibilities
Our Higher Education roles and responsibilities will help you understanding what you as a student have to do and what placement officers, tutors and mentors will provide and support you with.
Student Roles and Responsibilities
The student should:
- Seek out their own appropriate placement (The Practice Learning team will give guidance and support with this).
- Inform the Practice Placement team as soon as they find a placement. They should provide all contact details of the placement including mentor information.
- Act appropriately at all times as a student representative of the University.
- Adhere to the requirements of the work place and professional expectations.
- Manage their learning and professional relationships within programme’s expectations.
- Keep a reflective learning log.
- Be aware of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria that link to the placement.
- Alert the placement provider of issues impeding or preventing professional development.
Practice Placement Officer Roles and Responsibilities
The Placement Officer will:
- Support students to find suitable placements.
- Undertake pre-placement health & safety checks.
- Liaise with programme leaders/tutors regarding student placement issues or concerns.
- Liaise with employers and placement mentors on student placement progress.
- Undertake placement visits with the student and mentor to review progress and development.
- Keep appropriate records regarding health & safety and placement visits.
Tutor Roles and Responsibilities
The tutor will:
- Teach relevant theories and subject specific topics in relation to work based learning/personal practice development.
- Set out assessment tasks and formative and summative submission dates.
- Discuss with students appropriate placements relevant to the sector.
- Liaise with the practice Learning team regarding student issues relating to placement.
- Deal with issues regarding student behaviour and concerns regarding professional practice.
- Mark and grade student assessments and give timely feedback.
- Discuss and support students where appropriate with requests for extensions and through mitigating circumstance procedures.
- Present student grades to the examination boards.
Mentor Roles and Responsibilities
The mentor will:
- Provide an effective placement learning opportunity.
- Appraise students of agency policies relating to health and safety and other relevant organisational procedures.
- Where possible, include students in learning opportunities that will broaden their experience.
- Assist students to develop the necessary professional skills.
- Verify student Log of Hours.
- Liaise with Practice Development Officer in the first instance of any complaints or emerging issues.
- Meet with the placement officer and student for a 3 way meeting during the placement visit.