Tel 0800 328 3631 | Email [email protected]
Current students and staff

Higher Education Entry Requirements (UCAS Tariff)

Our guide to Higher Education Qualifications will help you understand what types of qualifications there are and what they mean.

A Guide to Higher Education Qualifications


Typically, it’s one or two years beyond the bachelor’s degree, but those additional year or years open the door to many career opportunities that are personally, professionally, and financially fulfilling.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) & Bachelor of Science (BSc) Honours

Degrees are studied full-time over three years or part-time over a longer period. Having a BA/BSc can make a major difference to your CV and take your skills and knowledge to a new level.

Higher National Diploma (HND) & Higher National Certificate (HNC)

These are studied over at least two years, giving students a thorough grounding in practical subjects. Students completing a HNC can work to ‘top up’ to a HND, while students completing HNDs can usually go on to the second or final year of a relevant BSc or BA.

Foundation Degrees (FdA, FdSc, FdEd)

These are our modern technical and professional (more practically-based) higher education qualifications, which combine study with hands-on work experience. The courses have been designed, developed and are supported by employers who are keen to make sure these degrees meet their needs. As a result, they are highly valued by both employers and students.

Those who successfully complete a Foundation Degree can choose from an appropriate one year top up or progress on to other pathways of study at the University Centre Grimsby or at other higher education institutions to convert their qualification into a full BA/BSc. All of our BA/BSc or FdA/FdSc qualifications are awarded and validated by major UK universities.

Higher Education Entry Requirements (UCAS Tariff)