Tel +44 (1472) 311 222 ext 1504 | Email [email protected]

Pre Arrival & Arriving in the UK

The Prepare for Success website has a range of learning activities to help you prepare yourself for study in the UK.

Accommodation costs while studying at the Grimsby Institute of Further and Higher Education

Independent living is a large part of moving to University. Here at the Grimsby Institute we provide a range of accommodation with all the facilities you could need for a safe and enjoyable stay while studying with us.

Arriving in the UK

Before you travel to the UK please contact our international team to help arrange your transport to the Institute. When you first arrive at the UK Borders you will have to pass through immigration. More information about this process can be found on the following link: Immigration on arrival

When you arrive at your accommodation you will be given a full list of emergency contact details.

What should I bring with me?

The British weather is well known for being unpredictable! The temperature ranges from up to 30°C in summer to an average 1°C in winter. We recommend that you bring clothes that you can wear in layers, such as:

  • t-shirts
  • cardigans
  • shirts
  • jumpers/sweaters

You can then put on or take off layers when the weather changes. We recommend you bring a warm waterproof coat for winter and light waterproof jacket for summer.

British students tend to dress casually but you may like to bring a smart outfit for special occasions like graduation.

Most homes and public buildings have central heating, so you will probably not need thermals.

Some products from outside the EU can’t be brought into the UK.

Electrical items
The power supply in the UK is 230V 50Hz and we use three-pin plugs. You may want to bring adaptors with you for your electrical items.

Do I need any vaccinations?
Before you leave home, ask your doctor if there are any vaccinations you should have for travel to the UK.

Contacting home

When you arrive in the UK you may want to contact home to let your family and friends know that you have arrived safely.

You will find public telephones at all airports, sea ports, railway stations, bus stations and on some streets. Instructions on how to use them are displayed next to the telephone. Most red phone boxes have been replaced by newer modern clear glass ones, and there are different companies operating phone services. They accept coins from 20 pence upwards and many phone boxes also accept credit cards, or phone cards (these can be purchased from most convenience stores & newsagents, and come in many denominations from £2 to £20).

For making telephone calls overseas, it can be cheaper to use an international calling card. You can buy phone cards online or from some newsagents or kiosks in the UK. You can send emails from internet cafes and public access computers in public libraries.

First day at the Institute

On your first day you will be enrolled and registered at the Institute. At this time you will receive your student card, timetables, and course handbooks and meet members of the International and academic teams at the Institute.

After registration your induction process will begin. During this process you will be given a tour of the Institute, a guide of how to use the learning centres and will be given help with registering with the police, doctors and banks as necessary.

Services and support:
The Institute has a wide range of support and services that are available to all students at the Institute. A full list of these services can be found at Learner Services

In addition to this support the International Office is manned full time during office hours and our friendly and professional staff will do their best to assist you in any way possible.

How to open bank accounts

When you arrive in the UK you must bring (or have access to) enough money to survive until you have an opportunity to open a bank account. Please bear in mind that most shops do not accept £50 notes so it is advisable to bring smaller notes with you.

The Institute will provide a letter to support your bank account application. The accounts available depend on the level and duration of course you are studying.

Student Responsibilities after Enrolment

After you have enrolled at the Institute you must carry out the following:

  1. You must register promptly with the police if required to, and update your police registration if you change address, get a new passport or visa, change course or place of study. Police registration events are organised at the Institute when required and you will be given an appointment to attend.
  2. You must not work more than the hours permitted by your visa which is normally 10 hours a week. If you have a student visa, you can normally work full-time during the holidays.
  3. You must only study the programme for which you have been given immigration permission. If you wish to change programme you must seek advice from the International Office.
  4. You must comply with the attendance monitoring systems that the Institute has in place and attend all timetabled classes, meetings with tutors and any other arranged sessions, unless you have good reason to be absent.