Tel +44 (1472) 311 222 ext 1504 | Email [email protected]

Applying for a visa

If you are from a country outside the European Economic Area you are likely to need a visa.

The Grimsby Institute is a tier 4 provider and our International Office are happy to provide you with free immigration advice, information and guidance on a range of study-related immigration queries.

This includes:

  • Tier 4 General visa applications.
  • Problems with Tier 4 visas.
  • Other study-related immigration queries.
  • Short-term study visas.
  • Family visiting or dependants joining you in the UK.

What is a Tier 4 General Student Visa?

Tier 4 of the points-based system is the primary immigration route available to students who want to study full-time in the UK. They must be sponsored by an education provider that has a valid sponsor licence. For more information regarding tier 4 visa’s please visit

Can I use a student visitor visa?

The student visitor route is available for students to come to the UK for short periods of study. You can find out more about the visitor route on the UKVI website.

Documents required to apply for a visa

When applying for a visa it is important that your application is correct and you provide all of the documents for your application to avoid having your visa application being refused.

Document Checklist:

1) Your passport, which must be valid at the time of your application. If you still have other passports that you used to travel to/from the UK.

2) Your BRP card (if you have one).

3) Passport size photographs that meet the UK Visa and Immigration requirements

4) Qualifications, which are detailed on your CAS.

5) Your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test.

6) English language certificate see link for further information:

7) If your offer and/or CAS states that you are exempted from the English language requirement on the basis of a qualification from the majority English speaking country , you will also need to obtain a NARIC Statement of Comparability:  for your qualification and submit it in support of your Tier 4 visa application together with your original qualification and all other relevant documents.

8) Original bank statements or electronic bank statements (printed and stamped by your bank).

9) Your bank statement must show that you have enough money to pay your outstanding course fees (as listed on your CAS) and a minimum of £9135 (£1015 x 9 months) living expenses (or at least £1015 per each month of your course if it is shorter than 9 months).

10) The funds must have been in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive (calendar) days ending with the date of the closing balance. The bank statement itself cannot be older than one month on the date of your visa application.

11) You can provide your parents’ bank statements, but will need to provide more documents in support of your visa application, such as original birth certificate, official translation if not in English, original letter from your parents confirming that you are their child and that you have their permission to use their funds.

Translating documents

If you need to translate your qualifications or any other documents in the UK, you can find local translation agencies using one of the internet search engines. It is advisable to contact a few agencies to compare costs and the length of time it will take agencies to translate your documents before deciding on one.

A certified translation must be dated and include details of the translator/translation agency (name and contact details), their signature and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original documents.

Healthcare Charges:

If you intend to come to the UK for more than 6 months, you will need to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your Tier 4 visa application. You pay the surcharge as part of the visa online application process.

The amount payable depends on the length of your visa and not the length of your programme. IHS is £150 per year and is payable even if you have a private medical insurance.

Biometric details:

You’ll be asked by the UK Government to provide your biometric information as part of your visa application when you attend your Visa Application Centre.

Credibility interview:

You may be interviewed by the UK Visas and Immigration as part of your Tier 4 visa application or upon your arrival to the UK. The purpose of the interview is to check whether you are a genuine student and have an adequate level of English.

You may be asked questions about how and why you chose the Grimsby Institute of Further and Higher Education and your programme of study, who is funding your studies, comment on your education or employment history, future plans, and other relevant topics.

The Home Office may telephone you or send you an email asking you to attend your interview. Please ensure that you check your emails on a regular basis (inbox and junk or spam folders). You could be interviewed in person, by Skype or by telephone.
It is important to answer all of the questions to the best of your knowledge as you may be refused a visa or entry to the UK if the Immigration Officer finds that you are not a genuine student or your English is not good enough.

New Visa to travel:

If your visa application is successful and you will be staying in the UK for more than 6 months, UKVI will issue you a one month Entry Clearance (permission to enter the UK) in a form of a vignette (sticker in your passport) that will allow you enter the UK.

When you arrive in the UK, you will need to collect your BRP card. Your BRP card is a Biometric Residence Permit (visa) that confirms your right to be in the UK for the duration of your studies. When you receive your BRP card, please check it to ensure that all of the details are correct.

Please also make sure that you comply with the conditions listed on your new BRP card.

Collect your new BRP Card once in the UK

Your BRP card is a Biometric Residence Permit (visa) that confirms your right to be in the UK for the duration of your studies. When you receive your BRP card, please check it to ensure that all of the details are correct.

Please also make sure that you comply with the conditions listed on your new BRP card.

You can collect your BRP from the local Post Office, your UKVI letter will have the address and the date your BRP will be available from. It is important that you collect your BRP on the date stated. You will need your passport, UKVI letter, your UK address and contact number to enable you to collect it. You will be given help and information on, e.g., where the local Post Office is, when you arrive.

Visa Rejection

A visa refusal or rejection can occur if:

  • you do not use the correct form
  • you do not complete mandatory sections of the form
  • do not pay your application fee or IHS charge
  • do not provide your passport (without exceptional reason), BRP (if applicable), photographs and other mandatory documents

If this happens your application and documents will be returned to you unprocessed. UKVI should refund your visa application and IHS fee, but may retain their admin fee.

What to do next

Contact the international department as soon as possible.

Frequently asked questions

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a virtual document which provides a CAS number and a CAS statement. You will only need a CAS if you are planning to apply for a student visa or visa extension under Tier 4 of the Points Based Immigration System.

A CAS number is a combination of letters and numbers and has 14 digits. Each CAS number is unique for an international student studying at a specific Tier 4 sponsor for his/her chosen course(s) in the UK.

A CAS statement consists of all the information required by the UKVI for generating your CAS. The statement will be sent you via an e-mail for you to use to obtain a visa.

This will depend on your personal circumstances. You will only need a CAS if you are applying for your visa or visa extension as a Tier 4 General Student. If you are not sure whether you will need a CAS, please contact the International Office.

No. If you want to start or continue your study at the Grimsby Institute under the Tier 4, you MUST obtain a CAS from the International Office in order to apply for your Tier 4 General Student Visa.

A CAS will be issued, normally within 5 working days, when:

  1. You have accepted your offer
  2. You have provided proof of all qualifications as requested and your offer is unconditional
  3. You have provided a copy of your passport which you intend to use to gain a visa
  4. Your start date is no more than 4 months ahead.

Yes. If your payment has been fully recorded you will receive a receipt from the Institute and this payment will be entered on to your CAS statement. The Institute will only issue a CAS when the first year’s tuition fee is paid in full.

If you are unsuccessful and your visa is refused, the Institute will refund any fees you have paid minus a £250 administration fee.

You will need to apply for a Tier 4 General Student (Adult) Visa. Information regarding the visa application process can be found on the UK Border Agency website at

Visa processing times vary depending on country so you will need to ensure that you submit your visa application in sufficient time in order for it to be processed and for you to arrive in the UK to start your course on time.An overview of visa processing times can be found here

For further help and advice regarding visas please go to the United Kingdom Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and click on one of the links below

All applications for admission on to full-time Higher Education courses at the University Centre Grimsby are to be made through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS), which provides administration for all Higher Education applications. It is preferable that you have a visa in order to make a UCAS application.

It will cost £24 for applications made to multiple institutions through UCAS in 2018 (you are eligible to apply for a maximum of 5 choices) or £13 for an application to a single institution.

Applications can be made to UCAS via their website at or call 0800 328 3631