About the FdSc Animal Management (Subject to revalidation) programme
The programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge required to pursue a successful career within the animal care sector. Our strong links with organisations (for example veterinary practices, zoos, and animal rescue centres) who provide work placements will ensure that you develop your employability within the industry throughout your studies. If you’re already working in the industry, this Foundation Degree will give you a qualification that opens up opportunities for promotion or alternative roles, particularly within the animal management industry.
Applicants will need 48 UCAS Tariff points including minimum GCSE grade C/4 or equivalent in English, 1 A level (or equivalent) in a science related subject or a pass achieved in a level 3 extended/national diploma or a pass in an Access to Higher Education Diploma.
In line with the widening participation brief and lifelong learning strategy, the Institute will also encourage applications from non-traditional learners who lack formal academic qualifications. All such non-traditional applicants will be interviewed, set an appropriate piece of work (entry assignment) and a judgement will be made taking into account their academic potential and relevant experience. The entry assignment, a 750-word essay, will be completed within an allocated time identified on interview attendance, and will be relevant to the subject and industry of Animal Management.
What you will learn
Level 4 (Certificate Stage)
- Fundamental Biological Principles
- Skills for Study and Employability
- Introductory Skills in the Workplace
- Animal Adaptations
- Practical Collections
- Animal Health
Level 5 (Foundation Degree Stage)
- Ecology and Conservation
- Veterinary Science
- Advanced Skills in the Workplace
- Animal Behaviour
- Research Development
Learning & Teaching Methods
This course is primarily designed for face-to-face learning, with attendance during lessons for the specified hours within the validation document. However, there may be periods of study where the government advises TEC Partnership that it is not safe to open campuses, or there is limited access due to social distancing measures. If the campus is closed, TEC Partnership will deliver your sessions online and offer you the necessary support and resources remotely. If there is limited access due to social distancing measures a blended model will be adopted, with some lessons taking place in small groups and others using online sessions and support.
Knowledge and understanding will be acquired through a number of methods within animal management. Methods of delivery for the development and acquisition of knowledge and understanding of animal management will include formal lecturers, guest speakers, research focus groups, seminars, independent research opportunities, structured online learning and tutorials. Enrichment will be directly mapped to the overarching curriculum and will include visits to zoos, wildlife parks, veterinary practices and other areas of the animal management industry.
The programme will provide an opportunity for direct participation in practical animal management tasks. All tasks will be directly mapped into practical specific modules where the curriculum will support the application of skills and knowledge in professional industry environments. Learners will further gain opportunities to exercise their practical and professional competencies through engagement in work based placements.
The course is delivered in a well-equipped environment with access to a wide variety of animal species for you to learn about their biology, care and conservation. Ample support and guidance is provided by the tutors, who provide direction to relevant academic journals and literature. Lectures advise and discuss possible advances for future courses and careers. Enjoyable and supportive learning takes place within small group sizes.
The Foundation Degree at the Grimsby Institute offers the following benefits:
- Has an Onsite BlueCross rehoming cattery linked (only learning provider in UK with onsite BlueCross cattery) to BlueCross hospital (one of four within the UK), providing opportunities for the development of employability.
- Has an onsite commercial dog grooming parlour and dog day kennels, providing opportunities for the development of employability.
- Small groups with tuition from industry expert members.
- Excellent practical resources at the Nunsthorpe campus with access to developing practical skills within Animal Care’s animal house and practical areas. Practical lessons exist with a growing animal collection, including recent additions of exotic animals such as meerkats and rheas, together with a wide range of species including livestock, reptiles, invertebrates, mammals, amphibians and birds.
- Offers an opportunity to gain greatly improved employability within a skills shortage industry identified by the sector skills council, LANTRA, as requiring approximately 600,000 new employees with higher technical skills and knowledge.
- Develops higher education academic skills and enables progression to level 6 or above in an animal management or related science discipline.
- Ensures the development and recognition of transferable skills such as task management, which are highly valued in academia and the workplace.
The Foundation Degree in Animal Management is designed and mapped to allow you to progress to higher education qualifications at level 6 and above. Graduates from the Foundation Degree Animal Management may have the opportunity to top up onto the final year of a bachelor’s degree in subjects such as zoology, conservation, animal husbandry, animal behaviour and welfare.
Graduates from the Foundation Degree in Animal Management may also progress into employment, such as management positions, which demand a high degree of technical skills and knowledge.
TEC Partnership is committed to offering a related top-up bachelor’s degree in this subject area which will allow graduates to top up to a full bachelor’s degree. It is likely that the top-up programme will be validated under new TEC Partnership Degree Awarding Powers.